So yes, it took an entire year to make but then again there was no rush to complete it. Comprised of 195 squares, it was the perfect project to pick up as and when I felt like doing some work on it. Crocheting the squares was very satisfying - I had quite a collection of wool to choose from, so it was fun picking which colours to put together. Joining the rows however, was pretty laborious, the only satisfaction was seeing it gradually increase in size.
I'd planned to do a scalloped border but having done about a third of one edge I unravelled it because it looked waaaay too fussy. Instead I just did 2 x double crochet - kinda boring but I think the simple edging looks better with all the jazzy squares.
Annoyingly I've finished this just in time for Summer - how useful. Ah well, hopefully it'll come in use by the end of the year. I wouldn't say this has put me off making another crochet blanket, but a different design (with less or even no granny squares at all) might be a plan.