Thursday 23 June 2011

Cut Off

So, dear readers, it's been a while since my last post. One was scheduled for last weekend but the powers that be (in this case virgin media) prevented me from posting anything and indeed watching anything. No TV and no internet all weekend? I asked in utter shock. The man at the end of virgin's support line apologised profusely (poor guy, it wasn't his fault) as well as light-heartedly suggesting I buy and read a book.

Being cut off when you're away from home - fine. There's things to do and new places to explore (see previous post). Being cut off with the prospect of another fairly empty weekend in Surbiton yawning before you (I'm broke and impatiently waiting for payday) - not cool, not cool at all. So what did I do? I enjoyed a (relatively) cheap weekend in Surbiton.

Saturday morning/afternoon was spent in the Crafty Cafe painting a ceramic teapot (one of Mitch's birthday presents). They charge just a fiver for the paint and varnish + the cost of the item (they have a range of stuff to paint too, from egg cups to piggy banks). The two and a half hours spent painting was fun and very relaxing. I love making and painting things and now I'm older I find I rarely have the time...

Taking place that very same afternoon was the Surbiton dog show. I only caught the contestants from the 'Waggiest Tale' category. I never thought I'd be a potential dog owner but...they are beginning to grow on me and to be fair, they were cute - jumping around, wagging their tales, gazing lovingly at their owners. Definitely cuter than the attention-seeking child who had chosen to climb a nearby tree and yelled out it's progress at 20 second intervals. "Mummy, I'm climbing the tree"; "I'm very high mummy"; "Mummy I won't go any higher, I think I might need a harness" (eugh).

The rest of the afternoon reminded me very much of my Uni days - watching a lot of Futurama in bed. Thankfully my flat-mates returned in the evening to pull me from my uni regression.

Sunday I went to the gym, which isn't free but I've already paid for this month. Followed by a game of giant Hungry Hungry Hippos. Yes, that's right, remember that game when you were young? Well the awesome people at a local pub made a giant version in their garden. Sadly I was just a spectator (like a lot of other people) but it was hilarious to watch the contestants (mostly grown men) furiously working their hippos to eat the most balls. Loved it. And all the proceeds went to charity.

Lastly, as Sunday was father's day, dinner was had in Richmond. The Jamaican burger at GBK should definitely be tried, delish. By the time we returned Virgin had got their act together and our connection to the world had been restored. However, at the risk of sounding corney, I probably wouldn't have done half the things I had done this weekend had everything been working as normal...it was a lucky time to get cut off.



1 comment:

  1. Hungry hungry hippos looked awesome!!! also the teapot is cool, i want to paint something!! and yes child are lame, get a dog then i can visit it, as u know i desperately want a westie . . . hint

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...