Friday 19 July 2013

16 mm film quilts

A few weeks ago my friend sent me link to this - Sabrina Gschwandtner's film reel quilts. 
Awesome no?

I think they appeal me particularly as it's the perfect mash-up of two things I have a great interest in: film (as in actual old school film) and quilts!

Technically they're not actually quilts but there's no mistaking what the artist had in mind when making them. The log cabin motif in quilting is v.much present in her new collection. Rather perfectly the artworks are made mostly from film footage of educational documentaries focusing on textile crafts including sewing, knitting, crochet, fabric dyeing and, of course, quilting!

The exhibition, Sunshine and Shadows, displays the quilts on light boxes so you can get a good look at all the individual frames in the film. Sadly it's on at the Philadelphia Art Alliance so I've not got a chance of seeing them up close but anyone who's philly based the exhibition is until August 18th.





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...